Friday, September 5, 2014

Breathe.

Lately I've been thinking about adding some of my photography to my shop as digital download files. As I was doing research on pricing and availability I accidentally found a copycat seller who had listed someone else's photograph into their shop and even copied the original sellers item description. It made me sad. I know they say copying is a form of admiration but if someone else is making money on something you have put your heart and soul into, it's just plain wrong. I contacted the original seller and told her what I had noticed - even though it really was none of my business. She was really happy I let her know about it.

Let's take this photo for example. It might look like something you could easilly snap if you just happened to walk into that particular spot. Let me tell you how I created it, in case you would like to do it yourself. The night before this shot was taken I charged my big and heavy DSLR camera battery. I checked the lense and cleared out the memory card. Then I set my alarm at 4:50a.m. because I knew the mist would be gone if I got up too late. When I woke up I had a quick cup of tea, got dressed well (it was cold outside!) and took my camera out for a stroll. I walked for an hour around my neighbourhood, taking dozens of pictures. When I got to this particular spot - on a bridge across the river, I took at least 10 pictures from different angles.

I do not mind the walking or waking up so early. I don't even care if someone looks at me funny, as if I had lost my mind because I'm out there at 5 in the morning, kneeling down and bending in weird positions just to get that perfect picture. I love strolling around in the morning when no-one is awake yet and it feels like I'm alone in the whole world. But the work on this photo did not end there, and I wasn't finished as soon as I got back home.

I uploaded all the files from the memory card into my laptop and started going through them. I chose the ones I thought were best and opened them in my image processing program. It must have taken me 10 to 15 minutes until I was happy with just this one shot - until looking at the photo gave me the same feeling I felt when I was standing there on the bridge looking at this exact view.

Now, if I were to sell this picture online I would have to list it into my shop, create an accurate description and add details about the price and download options. I would probably end up pricing it around 4 or 5 US dollars, and for that price the customers can use the photo as they please. They can print it out as cards (to send, not to sell!), inspirational wall art, use it as a background photo on their laptop or smartphone etc. So I do not think 4 or 5 dollars would be too much, especially knowing that I still have to pay the fee for selling it on Etsy, a fee for using PayPal for the money transfer, and of course the taxes here in Finland, for being an entrepreneur and getting paid for my creations.

After all these things if I were to find out someone just stole my photo and sold it to get money without doing anything for it - I wouldn't feel admired. I would feel betrayed and sad. And it has made me reconsider whether I want to sell digital files at all. And who knows, maybe no-one would even want them.

Anyway, because it's Friday and I don't want to sound all negative and patronizing - I'm going to give you a little present. You can have this picture. Seriously. If you want it, it's yours. For your personal use, not to sell it forward as your own. Just hover over the picture, click on the right side button of the mouse and choose "Save image as". And whenever you look at it on your wall, your laptop or anywhere, think of all the things that had to be done before you could have it to look at.

Happy Friday, everyone! Enjoy your weekend and enjoy art, for it is all around you.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much. It is a beautiful gift I really appreciate. I know how much a good photo takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ibb - Thanks, I know you do... Your photos are so inspiring and beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, this pic is really beautiful. I live very near this place and walk daily over that bridge, but I have never seen this scenery looking so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saniri - Wow, thanks for saying that - it means a lot to me! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow what a stunning photo! Sounds like you should add photography to the shop! :)

    <3 Shannon
    upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon - Thanks so much for the compliment :)

      Delete
  4. Bravo! This is a beautiful picture. I'm not brave enough to get up so early. But maybe one day I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menthe Blanche - Thanks! Waking up so early was definitely worth it! ;)

      Delete
  5. I say do it! Why not :) It sounds very promising and also fun. I understand what you mean, no one should copy anything and make a profit for it, even if they admire it -- it's wrong. You did the right thing in contacting the original owner, I would have done the same, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this picture Anna!
    It's wonderful!
    And I agree with you with all you wrote!
    Waking up early, finding a good location, taking photos, post production....(i love this, but it's not easy, and no one should copy and make profit for it!)
    Hoping you're having a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!