Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Sketchbook

I have never been good at sketching.

 I mean, I can draw pretty well if there's a model
or a picture in front of me to look at.
I can draw realistically, even make it look quite nice.
 But sketching, oh no. No, no, no.
If I can't see it, I can't draw it. Or even sketch.
I am terrible at that.
Like 4 year old terrible, you know.
I have tried to practice but it always ends up the same way.
At first I'm so ecxited. After a while I get really frustrated.
Then I crumble the paper into a tiny ball and throw it in the trash.
 But over the years I have learned something.
It's ok to suck at things.
You don't have to be good at everything you do.
You can do something else.
   I am a photographer. A very, very amateur one.
I sketch when taking pictures.
I see something interesting; perhaps a view or just a tiny detail.
I sketch the photo through the lense.
That scene or detail
combined to my camera
combined to my brain
is my sketchbook.

(This month I am participating in a challenge
To see my daily posts you can follow me

4 comments:

  1. Good to 'see' you again! For me, a bit similar as you, two things were very freeing 1. Allowing myself to suck (and experiencing that if you 'suck' enough you will always succeed in some extent. 2. Finding out that using referentials is not a Sin against Art, but very common under artist. I also found out that if you render enough, you will build up mental references for sketching. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anna - Thanks! I am tempted to give sketching one more try... I think I will just have to find a style that feels mine and stop comparing my sketches to anyone else's. I'm glad you stopped by this new place of mine! :)

      Delete
  2. "Hello!" Happy to see you here :) you do beautiful work, I just visited your Etsy shop (the red dress is amazing)! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menthe Blanche - Hi! Indeed, I'm happy you came over! Thank you so much for the compliments. I have so many more clothing pieces all planned in my head, but lately I have been busy with developing other things that come with a small business like mine. I need to get back to sewing soon! :)

      Delete

Go ahead, make my day!