Sunday, August 17, 2014

Photography

O'boy o'boy o'boy! Woo-hoo! Yes, I get carried away when talking about photography... There can only be one true love for me and in photography that is film. Good, old-fashioned, 35mm film - either in black and white or beautifully faded colors. Lots of lovely grain, or sharper than any digital picture taken. The options are endless and the results always a surprise, no matter how carefully you compose the shot.
Here are all my babies - both film and digital. Only one of them is not working for sure, the rest I have either already tested and proved to be producing nice images or there is a first roll of film inside right now. Let's take a closer look at all of them and a glimpse of the photos I have taken with these pieces of art!
This is my strong and sturdy DSLR, Canon EOS-1D Mark II. It was already used when I bought it from an acquaintance. This is the camera I use for all my work related photography whether it's my clothing collection, some passport photos or a 1 year old baby's photoshoot. I'm using a Tamron SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8 for all the basic stuff. Next to the camera you can see a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM-lense (don't worry, I can't always remember what those letter combinations mean, either) that is half mine and half my sister's. We got it used, as well. I also have a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye that I hardly ever use.
Canon EOS-1D Mark II, Tamron SP AF 17-35mm f/2.8

Canon EOS-1D Mark II , Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM
 
Canon EOS-1D Mark II, Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fisheye

Next we have the Polaroid 600 which I bought way back in 1996 when I was in Texas as a summer exchange student. You have no idea how happy I am that I've kept this piece all these years! They stopped manufacturing Polaroid-films a long time ago, but nowadays you can get replacement films again. They're very expensive, though, so I've only tested this baby for 2 packs of film. Yes, it works. The little yellow digital camera is Canon PowerShot D20 which I bring along with me whenever I know there are going to be tough conditions. This camera can handle water, cold temperatures and even dropping it accidentally - and because it's small, it is very handy on the hikes in the forest.
Polaroid 600 with The Impossible Project-film
Canon PowerShot D20
Now we're getting to the good stuff! Top left I have the Agfa Clack that I just recently got. Haven't tested it yet but it seems to be in great condition. Top right there is the handy Minolta Hi-Matic F which currently has a test roll in it. I'm so excited to see the results - if it works, this might become one of my favorite street cams. Bottom left you can see my Canon Canonet 28. One of the most popular rangefinder film cameras that are still being used amongst film enthusiasts. It works but has some problems with the lightmeter, so the results are always a mystery until the film is developed. Bottom right is my dear Canon AE-1 that I bought from my brother-in-law. Even though the lightmeter is not working in this piece, it is one of my favorite cameras.
Canon Canonet 28
Canon AE-1
And here we have the rest of the bunch! Top left is a Bilora Standard Box which unfortunately seems too damaged to be repaired. It's the only one of my cameras that I got despite of it's condition; I just thought it looked really nice. Top middle is a Konica C35 that I have high hopes for. I have a test roll in and as this camera is super small and lightweight, it will become my trusty companion if it turns out to be a working piece. Top right is a Canon Prima Super 105 - one of the newer range of film cameras. It's a point and shoot automatic camera that I got just for fun (and in hopes of getting my husband to shoot film, too...) This one also has a test roll inside but I'm already pretty sure it works. Bottom left you can see the other one of my SLR's - a Nikon FM2. I have shot several films with it and I really like how easy it is to use, and how high quality the pictures turn out. Definitely a nice piece to have! And finally, bottom right is my Ricoh 35EFS, which turned out to be more fun than it looks and feels outside. I have shot one roll of film with it, and the results were really cool, vintage-looking photos.
Nikon FM2
Ricoh 35EFS
After showing you all these cameras (and I also have a film developing kit that I have not used yet) I must confess these days I take most of my everyday pictures with my cellphone. I always convince myself it's the easiest and fastest way, and it really saves time for something else I need to be doing... but there is no excuse, it is totally shameful and embarrassing! I need to get a hold of myself and start using all these beauties on a daily basis. So now that I finally got them arranged on my atelier shelves for this post, I intend to leave them there. That way they are easy to pick up and always right there as a reminder of what true photography really is to me!

(This month I am participating in a daily challenge by Create & Thrive. To see my daily posts you can follow me on Instagram.)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post! As usual, I love everything. Have an amazing brand new week!


    Kenny,
    WHAT KENNY HEARTS
    INSTAGRAM @kennydaily / BLOGLOVIN / FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna!
    You have a wonderful collection!!!!
    I'm a bit jealous!
    You should you them, I have a smartphone that takes bad photos....so I have to use my camera! ;)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beina - I've been lucky to find all these beautiful cameras for reasonable prices! I hope my collection will grow over the years - although I have no idea where to put them all once these shelves are filled... :)

      I think that's exactly my problem... I got a new cellphone with a pretty good camera so that's the only piece I've been using lately... I promise that is going to change now!

      Delete
  3. I like how you expose your camera, it's nice and beautiful. This is interesting to see the differences between each cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menthe Blanche - I have to say I've used my cameras a lot more often since I arranged them this way. So it was a good decision! :)

      Delete

Go ahead, make my day!